___________Willkommen auf dem Blog der Bauhaus.Botschafter___________

___________Willkommen auf dem Blog der Bauhaus.Botschafter___________

Freitag, 25. August 2017

Exchange semester in Weimar #3: Shervin (Ghent)

Exchange semester at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar: study, travels and learning more about yourself

Three stories of international students, who’ve been studying at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar in SS2017.

Shervin. Photo: Anna Perepechai

Shervin has Iranian roots, but was born and is living Belgium. She is 22 years old, already doing a master of architecture in Ghent at Luca School of Arts. Here in Weimar Shervin was doing her 2nd semester of the Master program in media architecture.


Bauhaus is international. Since the school's beginning students and professors from many different countries have been involved in the study processNow, in 2017, there are around 1000 international students attending Bauhaus University Weimar, which is around 26% of the full amount of the students. We've used a chance to get to know some of these international students who came to Weimar for just one semester by recording and sharing their stories in our blog.
As I know you, you are very interested in Bauhaus, was it the reason you came here to study?
Bauhaus always was a big inspiration for me. So, to do my Erasmus, I didn't choose Weimar as a city, I've chose specifically the Bauhaus-University. I was super interested in the history of the school, the way they worked back then and the artists, who were connected to Bauhaus.
Of course, I knew that now it is a different Bauhaus. A lot of things definitely have changed, but I believe that something stayed the same. After Ghent, I was surprised how free you are here. Professors let you be yourself, develop your ideas and do what you want. I tried to do as much as possible here. Still, I was expecting to get to know more about the history, at least for the international students.
Which projects have you done?
I did two media art projects and one architecture project. I was happy to get my project chosen for the Summaery, so the others were able to see the result of the Labyrinth Stage, how me and my partner called it at the end.
It wasn't possible to present my idea for another project here in Weimar, so I am going to do an exhibition in September in Ghent. I got a lot of inspiration of a movie that Laszlo Moholy Nagy made from his machine, where he played with the shadows and different physical forms. So, I will try to do something similar, but with the use of curtains and layers.
Was it easy for you to work on the projects in Weimar?
Sometimes I was disappointed because I didn't get enough constructive critique. It was all new for me, because in Belgium our professors are sometimes very hard. At Bauhaus University we had to work a lot just on our own, and in some way, it was great, because you are learning how to develop yourself and your own style.
Did you have some favorite places in Weimar?
There is a lot to see in Weimar, so I can't say that some placesare definitely the best. Wielandplatz is somehow really cool to chill in the evenings when the weather is nice, it shows how busy the campus is and how much fun you can have with the others. We all know that we are just Erasmus students and not everything is going to stay forever, but still we are enjoying our time. I've met a couple of really good local and international friends and I think they are going to stay in my life after coming back home.
If I have to talk about nice places, C.Keller was good on the Monday evenings. I was hanging out often at friends’ places and at the home parties like at the Hababush. And of course I went sometimes to some Gaswerk events, it’s a pretty nice place, located a bit further from the city center of Weimar.
How you can compare Shervin in the beginning of the Erasmus and in the end?
In the beginning it was weird. It was the first time that I was somewhere totally on my own. Sometimes it was a little bit hard, but I've learned a lot from it. I was nostalgic and melancholic, thinking about my last year, searching for the answers what I should do different. When you are so far, you have a chance to make and live it absolutely in another way as at home. I travelled to Vienna, Jena, Amsterdam, Berlin, Leipzig and Dessau with my friends or to meet my friends. During our university trip to Finland, I've seen Estonia as well. I started to read more and watched more movies. In Belgium, I don't have time for that, people are constantly around. And here I've finally found this time for my own. I guess Erasmus can help you to learn to live with yourself.


Weimar. Photo: pixabay
I feel older now. I've learned how critical I am and how I don't have to be, that my future and my work are the most important in my life. I had a piece which I was coming for. I'm done here and ready to go back to start a new life.
What are you going to take home with you?
When I came here, I wanted a new start, so I didn't bring a lot with me. And in the end, I already gave a couple of suitcases in-between home, when my friends and family were visiting me :). I am taking a lot of memories, even papers and plastic with me. I've also printed around 200 analog pictures of my Erasmus and I will definitely do something with them.
And your advice for the next exchange students at Bauhaus University Weimar?
Try to do what you want for yourself. It’s a great time to teach yourself some things where you couldn’t find any time for at your own place. You learn how you work, you learn how to develop yourself, but know you have to take time for all these things. Also, don’t be afraid of missing out, because later you will feel more stronger that you worked for yourself.



READ MORE

Adam's exchange semester

Guilherme's exchange semester
Anna Perepechai, B.A. (Journalism); 3rd Semester Visual Communications